Growing up in Buffalo, Wing Dip was a staple at almost any family party / super bowl party / basically any occasion… I’ve been craving it non-stop, so I decided to create this plant based & gluten free recipe, and its so good I had to share it with all of you! I tried to use all pre made ingredients for this recipe, making it a bit easier & cheaper for yall, I hope you enjoy!
So in replace of the Chicken for this dip, we’re going to be using Jackfruit! Jackfruit is an awesome fruit that is starting to become more popular in the vegan community, due to its mild flavor & ability to be shredded (looking like any shredded meat). You can find it at almost any grocery store in the asian aisle, or in any specialty asian grocery store. Just make sure you buy the BRINED canned jackfruit. If you buy the Jackfruit in syrup, it will be to sweet and sticky to use in these recipes, as where the brined jackfruit has almost no flavor so can really take on any flavor you want it too. Drain and rinse your jackfruit, and melt a few tablespoons of vegan butter. Add your jackfruit to the pan with your Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, cover, and allow to cook on a low boil for about 15-20 minutes over medium heat, or until the jackfruit is soft enough to be shredded. After its cooked, using either a potato masher or two forks, shred / mash your jackfruit so that it resembles shredded chicken. Add more hot sauce / butter once its mashed if you need more sauce, but you want it to be decently coated. Set aside and allow to cool until ready to use.
For the rest of the dip, you’ll need your cream cheese mixture, as well as some shredded vegan cheddar cheese. For the cream cheese mixture, mix your kite hill original cream cheese, follow your heart ranch dressing, tofutti sour cream, garlic granules, onion granules, salt, and pepper into a bowl and mix until smooth. Add more ranch dressing to thin out the mixture, you want it to be about the consistency of a thicker dressing. For your cheddar cheese, I recommend grating your own cheese instead of buying the pre shredded vegan cheeses. They tend to melt & taste a lot better if you do it this way. We used the Follow Your Heart Cheddar Style Block for this, and grated it on the large section of a cheese grater.
Once you’ve finished making your cream cheese mixture, add your jackfruit to that, as well as 3/4 of your shredded cheddar (reserving the rest for topping if desired, if not, add to the mix), and mix until well combined. Add more hot sauce if necessary, we added about another 4-5 tablespoons at this point, and taste to see if you need to adjust the salt / pepper. Transfer this mixture to a baking dish (we used individual baking ramekins, but you can use whatever you’d like), and place into your preheated 425 F oven to cook for 30-35 minutes.
Once they’re golden brown and bubbling, remove from the oven. Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving, and top with sliced green onion. We served ours with celery stalks & tortilla chips, but you can use whatever you’d like for dipping!
- 2 16 oz cans brined young jackfruit, drained
- 5 tbs vegan butter
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups frank’s red hot sauce
- 4 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 4 tsp white pepper
- 2 cups vegan cream cheese (we used; kite hill plain cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream (we used; tofutti sour supreme)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan ranch dressing (link to our ranch recipe)
- 1 block vegan cheddar cheese, freshly grated (we used; follow your heart cheddar block)
- green onion
- tortilla chips
- baby carrots
- Melt your butter in a skillet, and add your hot sauce once it starts to bubble. Drain your jackfruit well from the brine, but DON’T rinse. And make sure you get the brined jackfruit in a can, NOT the jackfruit in syrup. After your jackfruit is drained, add it to the pan with 2 tsp pink himalayan salt and 2 tsp white pepper, stir to combine, and cover with a lid. Heat over medium – high heat (so theres a steady low boil) for about 10 minutes, or until the jackfruit is soft. Use a potato masher or fork to mash and shred the jackfruit, and stir to mix in with the butter & hot sauce. You can add more or less hot sauce depending on how spicy you’d like it. Allow to cool once its finished.
- In a separate bowl, combine your cream cheese, sour cream, ranch dressing, 2 tsp pink salt, and 2 tsp white pepper. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Grate your cheddar cheese by hand. This helps the cheese stretch and melt better than the pre shredded cheeses, and it also has more flavor generally. Reserve a small amount of the cheese for the topping of the dip if you’d like, if not, add your block of shredded cheese into the cream cheese mixture, and stir to combine.
- Once your jackfruit is cooled, add it to the cream cheese mixture and stir to combine. Make sure you taste a small amount at this point so that you can gauge if you need more salt, pepper, or hot sauce to make it to your liking.
- Pour into a casserole / baking dish, and if you’d like, top with extra grated cheddar. Place the dish into a 425 F preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, until its golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Top with finely chopped green onion, and serve with tortilla chips, celery, carrots, etc.