B.L.T. Sandwiches are one of the main things I still crave all the time as a vegan. I’ve tried a lot of different vegan bacon products before, and none of them ever really satisfied any of my cravings, and would just leave me wanting something different. So I decided to test out some different recipes, and create my own vegan bacon using tempeh! Tempeh is a really awesome meat substitute, because it has a texture very similar to meat, and has a nice nutty flavor from the fermented soy beans. I also like to pair the classic B.L.T. with some creamy, cool avocado. It just adds another layer of flavor, and gives that really creamy indulgence to the sandwich.
For the bacon, you will need maple syrup, liquid smoke, vegan worcestershire, tamari, water, paprika, and tempeh. Slice your tempeh into thin strips, thin as you can get them without it falling apart. Mix all of your other ingredients in a bowl, and pour into an air tight container. Add your tempeh slices and make sure to coat all of the tempeh. Place in the fridge and let marinate for 2 hours at least, although leaving it overnight really is the sweet spot this bacon needs. After your bacon is done marinading, heat up a large skillet with some coconut oil and add your bacon slices. Cook them until slightly charred / browned on all sides, and transfer to a paper towel to blot off excess oil. To top this sandwich, I used some tomatoes from the vine, hass avocado, romaine lettuce, vegan mayonnaise, and some freshly cracked black pepper. I also chose to use a toasted rye bread as my bread choice, but you can use whatever you’d like. We use the Rising Hearts Bakery rye bread, toasted under the broiler. Assemble your sandwich, and enjoy! This is a very quick and easy recipe, and the bacon will last in the fridge for close to a week! We hope you guys enjoy this recipe.
- 1 8 oz. block of tempeh
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 6 tbs liquid smoke
- 3 tbs water
- 3 tbs tamari
- 2 tbs vegan worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 avocado
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce
- Rye Bread (any bread of your choosing)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- Vegan Mayo
- Black Pepper
- Slice your tempeh into as thin of strips as you can get them without letting it fall apart. Mix your liquid smoke, tamari, maple syrup, water, vegan worcestershire, and paprika together in a small bowl, and add to an airtight container with your tempeh. Marinate for at least 2 hours, but overnight works best.
- Add your coconut oil to a pan, and cook your bacon slices over medium heat until slightly browned and crisped on both sides. Transfer to a paper towel to blot excess oil when done.
- Slice your tomato, and avocado, and toast your bread. Spread some mayo, add some freshly cracked black pepper, your avocado slices, tomato, bacon, and lettuce, and top with a toothpick through the whole thing to hold it together! Serve with a sliced or whole dill pickle on the side.